In Louisiana, a man in his fifties dies after eating oysters. Hospitalized in resuscitation 36 hours after her feast, she would have been the victim of a dangerous flesh-eating bacteria, of the genus Vibrio, whose proliferation seems favored by global warming.
A man in his fifties visiting friends on the Louisiana coast last September bought and ate oysters. According to an American television channel, she fell ill in 36 hours and died 21 days later.
Because of the presence of red patches on her legs and then all over her body, her family first thought of an allergy, but shortness of breath and a real respiratory distress led her to resuscitation in less than 48 hours.
A flesh-eating bacterium
The doctors discovered that this otherwise healthy woman had been infected with a Vibrio bacteria, which is a dangerous "flesh-eating" bacteria.
According to the US Infectious Disease Surveillance Center (CDC), people can contract Vibrio-like bacteria by eating raw or undercooked seafood, or through an open wound in stagnant water.
Watch out for the origin of the shells
According to his relatives, the 50-year-old has eaten 2 dozen oysters and has been in contact with stagnant water. She died on October 15, 2017, after 21 days of resuscitation.
The members of his family wish to make the population aware of the risks associated with this bacterium. Health authorities point out that eating raw oysters that have not been properly managed raises risks.
Only certain precautions can eliminate the danger: boil food, wash your hands after touching them or avoid swimming in low salt water when you have wounds.
Recrudescence of Vibrio bacteria
Among the twenty or so species that make up Vibrio is Vibrio aestuarianus. Present in oysters, it is as dangerous for man as for mollusc; she kills both. And that's just the beginning !
For almost five years, this type of infection has only grown. This could be explained by global warming. The warmer waters attract the bacteria that find refuge in molluscs, seafood and fish.